Current status: Alpha
This means that the basic features are implemented, and the more advanced details are at least planned out. However, the game is far from balanced and still full of bugs.
If you are interested in the development progress of Above the Fold, here are a few things you can do to keep up with it online.
- Join the Discord – usually the first place updates are shared.
- Like the Facebook page for Above the Fold, where screenshots and updates are posted regularly.
- Follow @theprint (not just game updates) or the #AboveTheFold hashtag on Twitter.
- Follow the video devlog, posted on YouTube and shared in this playlist.
- Sign up for the email newsletter using the form on this website! The mailing list is reserved for recruiting playtesters and major announcements only (no spam, ever).
While certain deadlines and deliveries are still undetermined, below is a roadmap of what is currently scheduled in the upcoming patches. Every update will also have a slew of minor adjustments to game balance and bug fixes, based on feedback from the playtesters. This roadmap will be updated as new developments happen.
Alpha 3 RELEASED
- Chapter 4 is fully scripted
- Reputation and Politics shown as bars
- Additional meta data on story tokens (Editor’s Desk)
- Stories on the Map show initial political bias
Alpha 4 RELEASED
- Quarterly Awards can be earned based on articles/issues
- Reporters can get poached if underpaid
- Local high scores added to main menu
- Issue Summaries can be viewed from the Office
Alpha 5 RELEASED
- Newspaper Generation Screen when the game begins
- Themed issues added (3+ stories of same genre)
- Award for themed issues added
- “Office Event” button added to Reporter Management
- Weekdays and clock added
- Subscriber drop-off
Alpha 6 RELEASED
- Celebrities re-visited
- Their influence on stories
- Their opinion of your paper
- Influence on advertisements
- Events based on interaction/opinion
- Celeb reactions tied to Credibility score
Alpha 7 RELEASED
- Chapter 5 is fully scripted
- Seasonal headline elements
- Initial sound effects are added
- Quest system is integrated
- Initial music is integrated
- Option to retire to end the game
- Options saved for music preference et. al.
- Reporter personality traits are integrated
- Timed, historic events are added
- Special combo-events added based on decisions
Want to contribute?
Above the Fold is a one-man production with no budget so contributions are welcomed. Here are some ways you might be able to get involved.
- If you’re an artist who’s looking for an indie game to work on, send a message with a link to your portfolio.
- If you’re a composer or audio effects maker, send a message with a link to examples of your work.
- If you’re a streamer or let’s play gamer who’d like to show the game, send info on your channel.
- If you’re a reviewer, I appreciate your interest but it’s waaaay too soon for that. Sign up for the newsletter.
- If you’re independently wealthy and want to put your cash into the game, definitely get in touch!