Current status: Alpha
This means that the basic features are implemented, and the more advanced details are at least planned out. However, the game is far from balanced and still full of bugs.
If you are interested in the development progress of Above the Fold, here are a few things you can do to keep up with it online.
- Join the Discord – usually the first place updates are shared.
- Like the Facebook page for Above the Fold, where screenshots and updates are posted regularly.
- Follow @theprint (not just game updates) or the #AboveTheFold hashtag on Twitter.
- Follow the video devlog, posted on YouTube and shared in this playlist.
- Sign up for the email newsletter using the form on this website! The mailing list is reserved for recruiting playtesters and major announcements only (no spam, ever).
While certain deadlines and deliveries are still undetermined, below is a roadmap of what is currently scheduled in the upcoming patches. Every update will also have a slew of minor adjustments to game balance and bug fixes, based on feedback from the playtesters. This roadmap will be updated as new developments happen.
Alpha 7 RELEASED
- Chapter 5 is fully scripted
- Seasonal headline elements
- Initial sound effects are added
Alpha 8 RELEASED
- Quest system is integrated
- Initial music is integrated
- Option to retire to end the game
- Options saved for music preference et. al.
- Reporter personality traits are integrated
- Timed, historic events are added
- Special combo-events added based on decisions
- Advertisers display political affiliations
- Reporter-specific awards added (affects morale/salary demand)
- Rare Superstar Reporters spawn on the map (non-random NPCs)
- Game Statistics for Steam are added
NPC Rival Editor to taunt/challenge you
Special in-game events related to competing paper
Want to contribute?
Above the Fold is a one-man production with no budget so contributions are welcomed. Here are some ways you might be able to get involved.
- If you’re a streamer or let’s play gamer who’d like to show the game, send info on your channel.
- If you’re a reviewer, please get in touch and include some links to your previous reviews.
- If you’re an artist/composer/developer who loves the idea and want to contribute, send me a note.
- If you’re independently wealthy and want to put your cash into the game, definitely get in touch!