This is the Above the Fold press kit [PDF version], where you can find all the basic information about the game, as well as some key artwork and screenshots for download. If you have any additional questions or inquiries, please send an email to email@example.com.
Above the Fold is a newspaper simulation game, where you are the editor-in-chief. Grow a small local rag into a media powerhouse. Balance a staff of reporters, a horde of subscribers, finicky celebrities, and advertisers – and most importantly, keep the Owner happy! The game is in Early Access on Steam, and currently in Beta.
Developer/Publisher: Rasmus Rasmussen
Platforms: Windows PC
Genre: Simulation / Strategy / Casual
Stores: Steam (Early Access) MSRP: $13.99
Launch date: 12/3/2018 (Early Access release)
Full Release: Q4 2020 / Q1 2021
Game Engine: Game Maker Studio 2
Game website: https://abovethefoldgame.com
Facebook page: https://facebook.com/aboveTheFoldGame
Game design, coding, music, and writing: Rasmus Rasmussen
Main artist: Kay Lousberg; additional art by KenneyNL
The year is 1998, the town is Goodbury, America. The Internet is still in its infancy and printed media is still going strong. An anonymous Owner has recently purchased a struggling newspaper, and he has put you in charge of turning it into something amazing!
Your job is not only to staff the newspaper, but to set its tone, its policies and politics alike, and bring it into the 21st century. To grow, you will research new technologies and make some tough decisions.
Win the game by reaching 1,000,000 subscribers, completing 50 strategic goals, or winning 25 awards, but you have to do it within 4 years, or the Owner sells the paper off to someone new.
- This game is semi-turn based. Take your time to plot out your strategy before starting a new game day, but in the heat of the moment, when assigning stories, the clock is always ticking and you have to do what you can before deadline.
- Procedurally generated reporters, with personality traits, skill levels, family ties, political views, and ambitions. You will need to keep them happy, to keep them producing quality work.
- Story lines with different endings and consequences, based on your choices along the way. Different actions in the game, trigger unique, chained events that affect your newspaper, its staff, and the town of Goodbury.
- Repeatable events, triggered by reporter personality traits, the content you put out, politics and many other factors and combinations. Some are good, some are bad – all are yours to discover.
- Manage advertisements printed in the paper, to make sure you have a good enough cash flow to pay the bills and expand operations.
- Complete strategic goals – you will choose one of three at a time, presented by the Owner. Complete 50 goals to win the game.
- Historic events play out and will affect your game in different ways. Your response will dictate how the subscribers, advertisers and reporters react.
- Win in-game awards for outstanding combos of reporters, stories, and themed issues, or as recognition from the community, based on decisions made previously.
- Customize your Editor’s Desk with your preferred notebook, a decorative item matching the late 90s vibe, and of course the desk surface itself. You will be looking at it a lot, so why not make it your own?
- It is a sandbox! Experiment with different play styles and approaches, prioritize upgrades and politics as you see fit. Be respectable or be a tabloid! It is a strategy/simulation game, but it does not take itself too seriously and leans more towards casual than hardcore.
- Steam Leaderboards and Statistics. Take on your friends and compare your highest score, or one of the many other stats from the game. Coming later, achievements!
I published my first indie game in 2013 on iOS and has since put out several smaller games for both mobile and desktop platforms, none of which you will have heard of. Above the Fold is by far the most ambitious project yet, in terms of complexity and scale. This project was bouncing around in my head for several years, but work did not start until the spring of 2018. My personal goal for Above the Fold is to make a game that is entertaining but also makes you think twice about the news you consume, and how it ended up in front of you.
Originally from Denmark, I now live in Seattle with my wife Kelly and our two cats. Outside of indie games, I have worked on several AAA titles in different capacities (primarily management roles) from Microsoft Studios and Valve Software, but my first love is still the creative freedom of the indie space, and telling stories through games there.
You can download a zip file containing the game logo, the box art and a handful of screenshots using this link below.
If you require additional images for any reason, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
I am happy to provide review keys for legitimate press and streamers with an audience that matches the game. If either of those is you, please send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must include links to your work/channel if you are requesting a game key.