Above the Fold is a newspaper simulation game, where you are the editor-in-chief. Grow a small local rag into a media powerhouse. Balance a staff of reporters, a horde of subscribers, finicky celebrities, and advertisers – and most importantly, keep the Owner happy!
If you have any questions or inquiries, please send an email to email@example.com.
The year is 1998, the town is Goodbury, America. The Internet is still in its infancy and printed media is still going strong. An anonymous Owner has recently purchased a struggling newspaper, and he has put you in charge of turning it into something amazing!
Your job is not only to staff the newspaper, but to set its tone, its policies and politics alike, and bring it into the 21st century. To grow, you will research new technologies and make some tough decisions.
Win the game by reaching 1,000,000 subscribers, completing 25 strategic goals, or winning 25 awards, but you have to do it within 4 years, or the Owner sells the paper off to someone new.
- This game is semi-turn based. Plot out your strategy before starting a new game day, but when assigning stories, you have to do what you can before deadline.
- Procedurally generated reporters, with personality traits, skill levels, family ties, political views, and ambitions. Keep them happy, to keep them producing quality work.
- Story lines with different endings and consequences, based on your choices along the way.
- In-game events, triggered by reporter personality traits, the content you put out, politics and many other factors and combinations.
- Manage advertisements printed in the paper, make sure you have enough cash to pay the bills and expand operations.
- Historic events will affect your games. Your response dictates how the subscribers, advertisers and reporters react.
- Win in-game awards for outstanding combos of reporters, stories, and themed issues.
- Customize your Editor’s Desk with your preferred notebook, a decorative item matching the late 90s vibe, and of course the desk surface itself. You will be looking at it a lot, so why not make it your own?
- It is a sandbox! Experiment with different play styles and approaches, prioritize upgrades and politics as you see fit. Be respectable or be a tabloid!
- Steam Achievements, Leaderboards and Statistics. Take on your friends and compare your highest score, or one of the many other stats from the game.
I am happy to provide review keys for legitimate press and streamers with an audience that matches the game. If either of those is you, please send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.You must include links to your work/channel if you are requesting a game key.